My Intentions for 2011

>> Thursday, December 30, 2010

I work half days on this week between Christmas and New Years. My focus is celebrating the past year and planning (goal setting) for the coming year. I also take extra time to pray, reflect and read. I want this blog to be a place where I pull back the curtain and you can see a little of my heart as I give leadership to our church.

The Seed Goes Everywhere!
I've been focusing on the Parable of the Sower (Luke 8:1-15). I've always been struck by the extravagant scattering of the seed (God's Word). It was scattered everywhere--on the path, on the rocks, in the weeds and even in good soil. There was no stinginess or apparent carefulness in how the seed was shared. It just got put out there; flung everywhere.

I so much want our church to sow seed like that. Just put God's Word out there everywhere! But do it with gentleness and respect (1 Peter 3:15). But just do it! Sow seeds of His truth in our families, our neighborhoods, work places, our friendships, our small groups....seed flying everywhere across the Cedar Valley and the world.

Celebrating Christmas Eve
I was celebrating in my heart on Christmas Eve when I was introduced to several people who were invited 'on the arm of a trusted friend" who are far from the church and maybe far from God. Many of you sowed seeds with invitations and I thank you.

The last verse of the parable has really struck me this week.

But seed on good soil stands for those with a noble and good heart, who hear the word, retain it, and by persevering produce a crop. (Luke 8:15)

My Intentions for 2011
So, I've been thinking about my intentions for 2011. What do I intend to be true about my life this coming year? Obviously, only with God's help and strength can any of this happen! Here are a few of my intentions:

I intend to persevere in abiding with Christ and through that abiding bear some fruit.

I intend to keep my life and our church focused on outreach to those far from God.

I intend to love, serve, encourage and enjoy my family.

I intend to keep striving and risking for impact in Orchard's five communities.

I intend to expand my impact and utilize my influence in my own 6th community (those places where God has given me influence).

These are not so much 2011 goals or resolutions as a prayer that God would help me persevere and produce a crop that would be pleasing to Him. I believe 2011 is an incredible year of opportunity and ministry. I am passionate about what God will do through our lives and our church!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP