>> Monday, December 6, 2010

Do you ever get so far behind in your work that all you can do is laugh at yourself? That happens to me sometimes and it happened last Friday afternoon.

The forecast was for 2-4 inches of snow. Some flakes had started falling. I decided if was my last opportunity to do the fall cleaning of the eaves on our house. So I get out the ladder and begin to pull the leaves and pine needles out of the eaves. Of course, they are frozen in place which makes the task a lot more difficult. The snowflakes were beautiful and I couldn't help but laugh at myself. Who else is out cleaning their eaves during the beginning of a winter snow watch?

Here I am fighting the ice. Frozen hands. Cold feet. Frosty ears. People driving by probably thought I was hanging Christmas lights. (I know most people who do lights had them done a couple weeks ago!) Again, I've just gotten behind in my daily tasks at home. How does this happen?

I'm thinking that a whole bunch of my friends and partners are feeling way behind as the holidays approach. I'm thinking that there is much to do and even now the time is feeling short. I'm thinking about those who will shortly have new babies, or those who are starting new jobs, or moving, or those who have over-committed their time to good projects. I'm thinking about school programs, presents to buy, meals to plan, and schedules to coordinate.

Last week at BASIC (the large group worship event at UNI) I taught one of my favorite verses--

"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world." John 16:33

I'm praying that you and I could have peace from Christ as we approach the holidays. And then with peace in our hearts, maybe we can continue to laugh at ourselves as we work to catch up. Maybe right in the holiday rush we can find the peace and presence of Jesus the Christ. I hope that can be true for both you and I.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP