Thanksgiving: A Holiday and a Discipline of the Heart

>> Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Before the busyness of the holiday weekend sets in, I want to blog just a little about my journey with thankfulness. I've known for a long time, that being thankful changes me in powerful and deep ways. So, the other morning at 6:00 a.m. I started to journal about the things in my life for which I'm thankful. On that morning, in 90 minutes, I journaled 81 entires for which I am thankful. Here's a few of the things I give thanks for:

1. Jesus--his death, resurrection and the hope I receive from him

2. God's capturing my heart during college

3. The promise of heaven--especially with Ralph there now

4. Linda, my loving partner of 40 years

5. Opportunities that we have to serve together

6. Jeremy--my oldest son who was born on my 22nd birthday

7. Ben--who lives nearby and partners in many ways

8. Joel--who lives in Ames and brings so much friendship and humor into our family

9. Emily--my only daughter and my "old" running partner

20. Health. Unbelievable health.

26. The ability to think clearly most days

27. The health and love of 3 parents who are supportive and interested in our lives

37. Several thousand pictures that remind me of our past life

45. Our ten special and unique grandchildren who live within 2 hours of our home

49. Orchard's Leadership Team for their spiritual growth and continual surrender of our church to the Lordship of Christ.

55. Good books to keep learning

59. The way sunrises and sunsets touch my heart

67. Quiet times with God

77. The opportunity to swing our grandkids in the backyard and to wrestle with them in the family room

I'm sure you get the idea. Now I'm working to think of more than 81. In fact, my list is now at 91 and growing. Last night, Charlie, my oldest grandson who had heard of my list called me over with a smirk on his face. "Grandpa, how many things are on your "thankful" list?" Eighty-one I remembered. "Grandpa, we have 104 on our list. We're way ahead of you!"

So, I guess the question is: How many things are on your "thankful" list? Have you even started one yet?

Happy Thanksgiving! I hope you'll invest some time being thankful.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP