Life Change and a Wedding

>> Saturday, July 17, 2010

I just officiated at a very cool wedding of Rachel Cole and Michael Lawson. Rachel's family included 6 brothers and lots of neices and nephews. Hers was a strong family of faith from Winterset, IA and a huge wrestling family. (so you know we'd get along very well!)

Michael is the young man who last year dropped to a knee at the finish line of our Chicago Marathon race and proposed marriage on the spot. After Rachel figured out what was happening (and it took her awhile), she accepted. They have been mentored for marriage by Neil and Barb McMahon which they have loved.

Ultimately, their story is one of life change and the power of Jesus Christ. When Michael asked Rachel for a second date, she said her answer would be "yes" if their third date could be to go to church together. He agreed and when he entered our gym, Rachel says, "she wished I could have seen his face!" He wasn't expecting anything like he found. He continued to attend both with Rachel and even when Rachel was gone. Michael has come to faith in Christ and now they are married with Jesus as a center of their relationship. This is simply one more story of God using Orchard to help another person become more fully devoted.

When the wedding was done and we were in the parking lot, Rachel's dad shook my hand and said, "thanks Dave!" I think he meant, "thank you Orchard Hill for making a place for my college daughter to grow in faith and for being the place where my new son-in-law could come to follow Jesus!" I'm so grateful that Orchard is committed to passing the baton of faith to next generations. Speaking of which, I met two new couples in the lobby after the wedding who come to Orchard and both were pregnant. More babies on the way!

3 comments:

Vitamin Z July 17, 2010 at 4:24 PM  

Great to see you blogging Dave! I have been doing mine for a long time now. Check it out - www.takeyourvitaminz.blogspot.com

Did you know we moved to Madison to plant a church? We just started and have our first service on July 25th.

z

ndiehm July 20, 2010 at 9:59 AM  

I can't even begin to express how so many of the teachings at Orchard have changed my perspective on so many different things. I was at a pretty deep "low" in my life when my roommate invited me to attend service with her...and I've been attending ever since. Now I'm happily married to a wonderful man who has also been greatly influenced by what Orchard has to offer spiritually. I can't explain exactly what it is that seems to draw people in so effortlessly...but I thank God for it. Who knows where I would be now without those first few services that spoke to me so deeply.

Thank You. :)

Nichole

Life of the Lorenzens July 21, 2010 at 7:11 PM  

I worked UNI catering with Rachel my junior & senior years of college. I never knew her background, though. I've seen her often at OHC and am so happy for her awesome story!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP