Who Gets To Do This?

>> Friday, July 23, 2010

A couple days ago I was having breakfast with Neil McMahon. He was showing me pictures from his recent trip to Mozambique, Africa. He and Barb recently led our mission team to the Gorongosa area which is one of the five communities we are focused on.

Looking at the pictures was emotional for me because I spent 10 days there last summer. One picture especially caught my attention. It was a picture of Marisio who is a young man supported through our child sponsorship program by my son's family. Last year when Ben visited Mozambique, Marisio was very quiet and withdrawn. He was afraid. This year when Marisio saw our team come to his area, he ran to them with a big smile on his face. These visits had changed him and helped him. He lives in poverty and is being raised by a grandmother and an aunt. Our child sponsorship helps him go to school, have medicine and supplies and gives him an opportunity to hear about Jesus. It helps him and his family. I'm so glad that people within Orchard are sponsoring 250 or so children in this community.

As we looked at the pictures, Neil showed me a picture of himself sharing the good news of Christ in a church behind a mud altar. At this point Neil asked me a question that has been on my mind since then. He asked, "Who gets to do this?" He was asking the question about himself but I began thinking about my life.

It's a great question when I think about my life. Who gets to have the resources to support and help children in Africa? Who gets to be a part of a church that makes a difference in five communities? Who gets to be married to the same wonderful woman for 40 years? Who gets to be a part of a fun and committed staff team at a prevailing church? Who gets to love and invest in 9 healthy and growing grandchildren? Who? Who gets to have a job he absolutely loves and feels called to?

And then, lets ask the question one step deeper? Who gets to receive the unconditional love of a Heavenly Father? Who gets to have a savior who allowed himself to be killed for my sin and shame and brokeness? Who gets to have a new life within himself which Jesus said leads to "life to the full!" Who gets to be "salt and light" for Christ in this wealthy and free country? Who?

On my good days, I remember who gets to do this and I am grateful to God for the privilege! How about you?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP