Orchard Hill North

>> Friday, July 16, 2010

My wife and I just returned from Orchard Hill North which is Orchard's bi-annual camping trip for families. It was an amazing event which took place at Baker Park Reserve north and west of Minneapolis. Forty families (200 people) enjoyed this absolutely beautiful park north and west of the cities which is on bank of Lake Independence. This was without a doubt the most beautiful and well-kept site in which Linda and I have ever camped during our 30 years of camping.

As I walked through the campsite each evening, my heart was overwhelmed with gratefulness for the people who are Orchard Hill Church. These families are busy raising their children, building memories, teaching skills and doing many things to help their children become fully devoted followers of Jesus Christ. I am honored to call them my church family and my friends.

I watched as dads and moms taught their kids to ski, swim and tube. I watched as families took long bike rides together and prayed and sang worship songs. Families rode roller coasters, shopped, and cared for each others children. This was a week of "doing life together" and being a part of the church while having a blast.

Mike Brost, who was our staff point leader for the event did an amazing job. He used his boat, his sense of humor, his organizational ability, and his risk-taking capacity to lead this event. Brenda and Curt Patterson led the cooking and chuck wagon for the 7th or 8th time. They do a wonderful job of carrying this heavy responsibility in a way that values and involves everyone on the trip. The food is scrumptuous.

Each morning the adults gather for small group story-telling. This time together so deeply reminds me that regular people with regular lives receive the love of Jesus Christ and their lives change. I get so energized for the work of our church, when I hear how God has used this ministry to change the direction of lives and families.

I just talked with Mike and he said that last nights final session was moving and beautiful. The session was at sunset on the lake. Curt Patterson (an elder) and Mike baptised three people in the lake: Elise Anderson, the daughter of Chad and Erica, Shauna Springer, a girlfriend who attended with the Day family, and Vicky Yeomens, who as an adult had no idea whether or not she'd ever been baptised. I praise and thank God for what He is doing in people's lives!

1 comments:

Maribeth July 16, 2010 at 4:46 PM  

Some of our kids' happiest memories happened on the Orchard Hill camping trips. This one sounds like it went beautifully. What an investment in families!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP